Friday, September 28, 2012

Lucky #6

Oh what a day!  It was a wonderful day so when I say this I mean it!  It started at 2:45 am this morning....No, Ryan was not up, I was on a "roid rage"!  I woke up and could not go back to sleep!  It was quiet in our house too.  Whitney was away as she decided to go back to Asheville for the weekend for a much needed and deserved break to see friends and check on her apartment.  So Ryan was with Wendy yesterday (Nana Naughton) and she kept him overnight since she was going to watch him again today.  Our house was quiet since we don't have to worry about Justin roaming at night!  So I went to Whitney's room so I didn't disrupt Don and I played some games, did some brainstorming for work and of course caught up on Facebook which was quiet since everyone but my college buddy Sheila was awake.... probably for her commute to the city!

I worked until 12 and then Don picked me up and we headed to get something to eat and then chemo.  My blood work was drawn at 4 yesterday so I didn't have my results and as much as I want them, I try to block it out and not think about it.  They will call if something is funky, right?  So today I was happy to hear from my nurse that I am normal, followed by "Normal for you"!  My WBC was 2.9 which is still extremely low, but climbing for me.  My hemoglobin was at 8.  8 and above is in the safety zone!  There is still a chance that they could go down by next week instead of up, but that is not going to happen!  I have decided that my 1/2 way through chemo was today and it will go down as Lucky #6.  I think the key was I wore my beautiful diamond studs from Don and the boys.  These were a gift from them when I was newly diagnosed.  I decided if I wasn't going to have hair, I needed some "bling" even though I have never been into "bling".  So they were purchased and I was so afraid to put them in my ears.  I was afraid since I don't wear ear rings often and had to kind of re-poke my ears, that I could get an infection.  But today, I looked at them and put them in.  And I had good results so I think I will start to wear them more often.  Don probably was cussing every time he saw the box on our night stand too.  

This weekend we are a family of 4!  It is weird.  I am so used to having someone here.  I think it will be nice for us but Nana Naughton is on call for Sunday if we need a break.  I know we can handle it, but I do need my rest at times and Don does deserve a break too!  So wish us luck!  And Nana, keep that phone charged! 

Speaking of Whitney, I need to dedicate a blog just to her and plan to do so in the near future.  So many of you ask about her and think she is one special women for doing what she did for us.  She is and I will blog about her soon.  But there is just so much to say and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what she means to my children and to Don and I.  So that isn't going to happen tonight, but if I wake up at 2:45, you might see it:)  

Next weekend my other favorite sister Jessica is coming.  This was planned when I was on my old chemo plan and that was supposed to be my last chemo and it is her birthday so she was coming without her 3 kids and we were to celebrate.  We will still celebrate and we are doing so by eating what we want, hopefully enjoying a sisters day out (the 3 of us) and ending it on Sunday with the Making Strides Breast cancer walk at the Joliet Racetrack.  I have several people interested and signed up and that makes me feel so special.  I think it will be an eye opener for all to see how many people suffer from this nasty disease.  The link if you are interested in walking is attached.  It is the Joliet Racetrack location.  I would love to see as many people there, but just learning of it last weekend, I don't want you to feel obligated.  But anyone is invited and you can sign up on the site or the day of.  Or you can make a donation that all breast cancer fighters or survivors would greatly appreciate so we can put an end to this disease. If you do plan to sign up, please let me know though so we can plan to meet up and do our best to walk together.  Kids / strollers are welcome and you don't have to sign them up unless you want them to have a T-shirt.  

 http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=informational&fr_id=47491&type=fr_informational&sid=55931

Just this month I have learned of 2 special women that were diagnosed.  1 I know personally and the other was put into my life by a cousin of mine.  Both women are just as strong as me and will get through this as well!  I have no doubts.  I am trying to remember what all of you did for me when I was diagnosed and making sure that I am offering the best support I can.  Especially since I now know first hand.  I also said from the beginning, if I have to do this, I want to help others through this.  But this just breaks my heart.  It brings me back to that day, which was the worst day of my life and I don't think that is an exaggeration.  It knocked me to the ground and made me open my eyes to fears I didn't know existed for me and my family.  But it also gave me life, so as negative as it was, I think I started to try to live my life more and appreciate so much more!  Both of these women are full of life and I know they have fears, but I am praying so hard and will be the best supporter that I can.  So please add 2 new special fighters to your prayers!
Proud Mommy with her boys

Daddy and his boys
Happy Family


I will leave you with some pictures from our baptism last weekend for those of you not on Facebook.  Enjoy your weekend and stay tuned!

Love Amber

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, amazing News! So happy that there is some positive in all of the negative! I tried to post a comment last week, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. But as you know we are always thinking of you and praying for all that we can~! Our family is heading to Italy (yes, Italy! :) so I may or may not have internet. So glad to see this posting before we leave in an hour. I'm asking the pope for a special prayer :) Love to all of you and we'll try and be in touch this week! Keep it up Amber. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete